Traffic Safety Regulations
School or Playground Speed Zone “30 km/hr”
Regulation: Travel at 30 km/hr or less near a school from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm on school days and near a playground from dawn to dusk every day.
What is the penalty?: The penalties for speeding in a 30 km/hr zone include a fine of $196 to $253 and driver premium points.
Designated Pick Up / Drop Off, “No Parking” Zone
Regulation: Do not park in a “No Parking” zone.
A designated pick up / drop off zone adjacent to the school provides a dedicated area for parents to stop briefly to load or unload their children. Drivers must remain in their vehicles.
What is the penalty?: The penalty for parking in a “No Parking” zone is a maximum of $50 and your vehicle could be towed.
“No Stopping” Zone
Regulation: Do not stop in a “No Stopping” zone for any reason.
“No Stopping” zones are designated in areas where a stopped vehicle could obstruct the visibility of other drivers and pedestrians.
The following “No Stopping” zones may or may not be signed:
- No stopping within 2 m of a driveway,
- No stopping within 5 m of a fire hydrant,
- No stopping within 6 m of a crosswalk,
- No stopping within 6 m of an intersection.
What is the penalty?: The penalty for stopping in a “No Stopping” zone is a maximum of $50 and your vehicle could be towed.
Stop For Pedestrians at Crosswalks
Regulation: Drivers are required to yield right-of-way to pedestrians at all intersections regardless of whether a crosswalk has specific pavement markings, signs, and/or a traffic signal, and must follow the directions of crossing guards when present. Drivers must also wait until all pedestrians have crossed the street before proceeding and should not pass other vehicles that have stopped for pedestrians.
What is the penalty?: There is a $167 penalty for each of the following crosswalk related traffic violations: failing to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk; passing a vehicle that is slowing down for a pedestrian; and disobeying the direction given by a crossing guard. The penalty also includes driver premium points.
Traffic Safety Tips
- Respect the 30 km/hr school zone and playground speed limit.
- Use the designated “Pick up / Drop off” area on Van Horne Drive in front of the school. Remember that drivers are not allowed to PARK in this zone between 8 am and 5 pm on school days. Drivers must remain in their vehicles while they wait for their children or they may be fined.
- Do not stop in a “No Stopping” zone for any reason.
- Do not pass other vehicles in a school zone.
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians at all intersections and crosswalks.
- Drivers should be cautious when driving near a school or playground as children may enter the roadway suddenly. Respect the speed limits and prepare for the unexpected!
Pedestrian Safety Tips
- Teach your children to look left, right, and left again and to always make eye contact with drivers of approaching vehicles before crossing the road. Pedestrians should continue watching for vehicles as they cross the road. It is important for children to learn not to assume that all drivers will stop.
- Teach your children to always push the pedestrian button and wait for traffic to stop before crossing the street at signalized crosswalks.
- On streets with no sidewalks, pedestrians should walk facing traffic, as far to the left as possible. On streets with sidewalks, pedestrians should use the sidewalk. Children should be encouraged to use a route to school with sidewalks and crosswalks, even if it is a slightly longer route.