Site news

Interesting Presentation

Picture of Mrs. S. Zryd
Interesting Presentation
by Mrs. S. Zryd - Tuesday, 18 February 2014, 3:01 PM

Thompson Rivers University will be hosting an exciting event scheduled on the evening of March 11 – 7 pm -- that I think the students of School District 73 – of all ages, from elementary to high school – will want to attend. This is part of our International Days event.

Clemantine Wamariya was six-years-old when the genocide started in Rwanda. Miraculously she and her sixteen-year-old sister, Claire, managed to survive but they were separated from their parents. During the six years following the genocide, Ms. Wamariya lived in numerous refugee camps in seven different African countries before coming to Chicago in 2000. Since first discussing her experiences as both a survivor of genocide and her life as a refugee on the Oprah Winfrey Show in 2006, Ms. Wamariya has traveled the country, speaking at numerous universities, high schools, and other organizations. Currently an undergraduate at Yale University, Ms. Wamariya is involved in several human rights and genocide intervention activities. More recently,President Barack Obama appointed Wamariya to serve on the board of the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum.

Following is the video of Clemantine’s and her sister Claire’s reunion with their parents, on the Oprah show:

While this is an evening event and not a daytime event such as the Hadfield events, I still think it has enormous value and significance for students of all ages as it touches on topics of internationalization and human rights, all woven into an incredibly inspiring story of survival by a truly inspiring human being who, despite adversity, went on to earn a degree at Yale – so, a very education-relevant message, I think.